The Chicago Association of REALTORS® is committed to creating a safe and inclusive experience for our community and providing a friendly and welcoming environment for all. We do not tolerate harassment in any form. Please act professionally and follow our Code of Conduct at all Chicago Association of REALTORS® events.
This Code of Conduct outlines our expectations for participant behavior, as well as the consequences for unacceptable behavior.
We invite all Chicago Association of REALTORS® staff, volunteers, leadership, sponsors, speakers, attendees, media, exhibitors, vendors, and other participants to help us create a safe and positive environment during all Chicago Association of REALTORS® events. Attendees are expected to refrain from demeaning, discriminatory or harassing behavior and speech.
Attendees may consume a limited amount of alcohol at Chicago Association of REALTORS®-sponsored events, provided they may not be under the influence of alcohol or otherwise have their judgment impaired. Please be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants. Alert Chicago Association of REALTORS® staff if you notice a dangerous situation or someone in distress.
- Unacceptable behaviors include: intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory, or demeaning conduct by any participant of the event or related event activities. Many event venues are shared with members of the public; please be respectful to all patrons of these locations.
- Harassment may include: offensive verbal or electronic comments related to gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, disability; deliberate intimidation, stalking or following; harassing, photography or recording; sustained disruption of sessions, talks or other events; inappropriate physical contact, and any unwelcome sexual attention.
- Possession of a weapon or any item that can be used as a weapon, which may be used to threaten or cause injury to others if used in a certain manner.
- Any destruction or vandalizing of personal property or event site or materials.
- Any boisterous, lewd or offensive behavior or language, using sexually explicit or offensive language or conduct, profanity, obscene gestures, or racial, religious or ethnic slurs.
- Possessing any open can, bottle or other receptacle containing any alcoholic beverages, except in areas specifically designated for the consumption of alcohol or being intoxicated, as determined by Chicago Association of REALTORS® or venue staff, in any event venue or function. Please drink responsibly.
- Possessing any illegal substance, including but not limited to narcotics, marijuana, or other illegal drugs. The Chicago Association of REALTORS® does not tolerate the use or abuse of illegal substances.
- Smoking is not permitted, other than in designated areas.
- Assembling for the purpose of, or resulting in, disturbing the peace, or committing any unlawful act or engaging in any offensive behavior.
- Any other illegal activity not already covered above.
- Failure to obey any of the rules or regulations of the venue or instructions of Chicago Association of REALTORS® staff.
Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behavior will not be tolerated whether by an attendee, media, speaker, volunteer, Chicago Association of REALTORS® staff, leadership, venue staff, vendor, partner, sponsor, or exhibitor.
Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in unacceptable behavior, Chicago Association of REALTORS® staff may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from the event without warning or refund, prohibition from future events and if appropriate involvement of local law enforcement.
What to do if you Witness or are Subjected to Unacceptable Behavior
If you are subjected to unacceptable behavior, notice that someone else is being subjected to unacceptable behavior, or have any other concerns, please notify Chicago Association of REALTORS® staff as soon as possible. You may request that your report remain completely confidential.
Chicago Association of REALTORS® staff will be available to help participants contact venue security or local law enforcement, to provide escorts, or to otherwise assist those experiencing unacceptable behavior to feel safe for the duration of the event. You can report unacceptable behavior to any member of Chicago Association of REALTORS® staff. If applicable, Chicago Association of REALTORS® staff can be found at check-in during the event or you may email one of the contacts below.
Attendees who violate this policy may be denied admittance at future Chicago Association of REALTORS®-sponsored events.
The Code of Conduct may be revised at any time by Chicago Association of REALTORS® and the terms are non-negotiable. This Code of Conduct is without prejudice to the Chicago Association of REALTORS®’ rights, all of which it expressly reserves.